Family planning is for women of child bearing age and men who are wanting to prevent a pregnancy or start a family.
Important to plan for a pregnancy ensures that a women and her partner are prepared mentally, physically, and emotionally to care for a child. You should receive a yearly physical exam to be sure your body is in good shape before you become pregnant.
Health Department offers basic fertility awareness counseling which would help you recognize the signs your body gives when you are most likely to become pregnant.
Medicaid and other insurance carriers will cover family planning services. The sliding fee is available based on income for those without insurance and to slide the cost of the contraceptive method. Please bring documentation of household income to determine your charges on the sliding scale. Appointments are available Monday through Friday.
Family Planning Exam
- A complete physical related to the type of contraceptive you are choosing
- HIV/STD testing
- Pap smear if indicated
- Counseling to help you decide on the most effective method of birth control
- Education on healthy lifestyles, tobacco cessation, healthy weight, exercise, and nutrition
- How to protect yourself from STDs
- Condoms are available free of charge
- Referrals to community resources as needed such as domestic violence center, WIC, substance abuse and Medicaid enrollment.
- Pregnancy tests are offered through general clinic and do not require an appointment.
- Nursing staff will provide information on the test results and can assist in making referrals for any needed services requested by the client.
- Family planning is only for contraceptive or pre-pregnancy health. Extra lab tests and medications not related to contraception are not covered.
- Medicaid and Family Planning Waiver do not cover treatment for an illness as part of the family planning exam.
- If you need a physical or treatment for the assessment of a chronic disease or injury, you will need to schedule an adult health appointment. Any labs or medications ordered will need to be paid on the day of service.
Family Planning Waiver and Medicaid: There are opportunities to qualify for an insurance to cover your family planning and contraceptive needs.
Contraceptive Method Facts: http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/
STD: Sexually Transmitted Diseases – CDC ; Sexually Transmitted Diseases(Spanish) – CDC
Domestic Violence: www.sarahsrefuge.com
Apply for Medicaid and Family Planning Waiver: Go to www.duplincountync.com and click on Government offices, Department of Social Services